Friday, June 24, 2011

Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery

Synopsis from Borders.com: Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert had decided to adopt an orphan. They wanted a nice sturdy boy to help Matthew with the farm chores. The orphanage sent a girl instead - a mischievous, talkative redhead who the Cuthberts thought would be no use at all. But as soon as Anne arrived at the snug, white farmhouse called Green Gables, she knew she wanted to stay forever. And the longer Anne stayed, the harder it was for anyone to imagine Green Gables without her.


I have to say that this is probably one of my all-time favorite books from childhood…and as an adult I enjoy them just as much. So I was excited when we decided on Anne of Green Gables as our book club book for June.

Montgomery is such an enchanting writer...you really don't want to skim any of it but instead read every single word. And Anne is such a fascinating character. She is a very dynamic and engaging girl/young lady. I both laugh and cry when I read this book. Even though I have read it so many times I know what’s coming just by the chapter title…I still thoroughly enjoy the journey.

My favorite quote this reading go-round is one said by Anne to her “bosom friend”, Diana, when discussing conflicting thoughts and feelings: “There’s such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I’m such a troublesome person. If I was just one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn’t be half so interesting.”

Isn’t that so true of all of us and human nature in general? We are not static, one-dimensional creatures. We have many facets and opinions and ideas and feelings and interests. And that creates some of the dilemmas we face in life. But it also makes life a lot more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment