Friday, January 13, 2012

Burn - Ted Dekker

Synopsis from B&N:  The past Janeal thought had burned away is rising from the ashes.
Years ago, the Gypsy Kumpania where Janeal Mikkado lived was attacked by outsiders. With her best friend about to be consumed by a fire, Janeal had two options: try to save her friend--at serious risk to her own life--or disappear with the million dollars that she had just discovered .

But the past is quickly coming back to haunt her. Both the best friend and the boyfriend that she was sure were dead have reappeared in her life, as has someone who knows about the money. There's a debt to be paid for the money she found, but there's an even greater debt she must face--and if the chaff isn't burned from her own heart, it will consume her.

I am a pretty decent Ted Dekker fan.  Not as much as my husband (who I had read one of Dekker’s books while were dating), but I’ve read – and been fascinated by – most of his allegory works. 
The story in Burn was engaging.  I read it quickly and enjoyed the story and the characters.  I could feel Janeal’s struggle throughout the text.
I was a little disappointed by the end.  If you are a fan of Dekker, you know there is always a big “reveal” that ties everything together and explains the allegory.
I had set myself up for the disappointment, though, by not remember it was a co-authored book with Erin Healy.  As she describes her stories, they are more “fables”.  That is, stories that explore a character’s choices.  And had I kept that in mind, I would have avoided the slight disappointment.
I appreciated the story and the true life lesson that undergirded it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment