Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Wife, the Maid, & the Mistress - Ariel Lawhon


17618286
The Wife, the Maid & the Mistress by Ariel Lawhon

Genre:  historical fiction, mystery

Pages:  304

Publishing Date:  January 14, 2014



Synopsis from Goodreads:

One summer night in 1930, Judge Joseph Crater steps into a New York City cab and is never heard from again. Behind this great man are three women, each with her own tale to tell: Stella, his fashionable wife, the picture of propriety; Maria, their steadfast maid, indebted to the judge; and Ritzi, his showgirl mistress, willing to seize any chance to break out of the chorus line.
As the twisted truth emerges, Ariel Lawhon’s wickedly entertaining debut mystery transports us into the smoky jazz clubs, the seedy backstage dressing rooms, and the shadowy streets beneath the Art Deco skyline.



My Thoughts:

This was the book my book club chose for October.  I don’t remember who suggested it or any compelling arguments for it.  We just compile a list and take votes.  It’s very democratic like that.  I had heard of the author and her website SheReads.org though.  And I think have even listened to her on a podcast.

Anyway, starting the book I was not convinced that I was going to like it. There was a lot going on and I wasn’t finding the characters initially engaging.  But then…

About a quarter of the way in I was hooked.  I didn’t want to put the book down.  My workouts at the Y shifted from classes to walking the treadmill so I could read more. 

Stella…Maria…Ritzi – oh my!   Those three ladies drew me in.  Maria probably more than the other two.  I could feel her.  I think they were each very well-drawn and nuanced.

And just the era – I learned a thing or two.  There was definitely a lot of corruption and a seedier side to life represented. 

The twists and revelations were the best part though.  I didn’t see a lot of it coming – something I really love in a book because it tends to be rare.  Looking back, I can see the hints…sort of.

There are some trigger warnings.  We’re talking showgirls and mistresses and drinking – a lot of drinking.  Violence – but more alluded to than graphically described. 

I’m glad I stuck it out and got past the beginning.  The last 4 pages make it so worth the read.  I also appreciated the author’s note at the end that detailed some true information about the people involved in the story versus the parts she created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment