Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper


The Last of the Mohicans (The Leatherstocking Tales #2)The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews at https://mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com/

“A wild rush of action in this classic frontier adventure story…” is how the synopsis for this book begins. So I’m not sure I was reading the right book.
It was set in the wild. And it is a classic. However, I was missing both the rush of action and the adventure part of the story. There was a lot of description and some dialogue – even dialogue in French, which was completely lost on me. Far more of those two things than there ever was of adventure or action. Although I will say there was a smattering of action throughout the thirty-some-odd chapters.
There was nothing about any of the characters that made me feel invested in them. They were each (and all the people groups as well) were called by multiple names and descriptions. That led to some confusion in the first several chapters until I got the hang of who was who and what all their nicknames were. But, overall, they just weren’t that interesting to me.
Probably the most impactful part of the book was the massacre. That you see coming from a mile away but is nonetheless absolutely horrifying to read about.
The rest of the book was just ho-hum. As with many classics, the reason for it standing the test of time eludes me.

Rating is a 1.5.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment