Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The River - Peter Heller


The RiverThe River by Peter Heller
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Jack and Will are best friends who met in college and bonded over their mutual love of literature, especially the older naturalist. They embark on an adventure canoe trip in the Canadian wilderness where things eventually deviate from the plan.

I've waffled between 3 and 4 stars on this book. I really loved some parts whereas other parts seemed to drag or get bogged down in description. And since I read the book summary/blurb, I kept waiting for one of the pivotal scenes that ended up taking its time coming. And the fact that when Jack and Will were in their thoughts, I often had a hard time telling them apart.

Once the pivotal scene occurred, the story telling really picked up the pace from it's previous meander down the river and through times past. Then I had a hard time putting it down.

I don't get the "Thriller" label it has received so many places. Adventure, yes, but I didn't find it to be a thriller.

I can see why there's been so much buzz about the book this summer. And I liked it, but it didn't wow me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment