Wednesday, October 2, 2019

The Rest of the Story - Sarah Dessen


The Rest of the StoryThe Rest of the Story by Sarah Dessen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Emma Saylor unexpectedly has to spend three weeks with her maternal grandmother and extended family, somewhere she hasn't been and people she hasn't seen since she was four. Once there, she realizes the opportunity to learn more about her mother and even herself.

Not my favorite of Sarah Dessen's novels. I actually have been waffling between 2 and 3 stars for this one. I think there were just several typos and so many contradictions in small and big things - including timelines - that each time it interrupted my enjoyment of the story itself. And those kinds of editing issues are just not something I expect in her books. Also, there were SO. MANY. CHARACTERS to keep up with. I think by the end I mostly remembered who was who and how they fit in. But the first half was tough going. The way her dad just changed so much at the end was a bit of a stretch for me.

Underage drinking was pretty consistently present but not always in a positive light.

I still liked the premise of the story and several of the characters. I just feel it could have been better executed.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment