Monday, March 4, 2019

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys


Between Shades of GrayBetween Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lithuania - 1941. Lina is fifteen-years-old and living the average young girl's life with her family. Until the Soviets invade her country, her town, her home. Lina, her mother, and brother are deported. This is the story of her struggle to survive.
I have read much about World War II when it involves Germany and the camps and prisoners there. Probably due to the popularity of Anne Frank and the fact I teach Night to my 8th graders. So this was branching out for me. And it was good.
While fiction, it still opened my eyes to another area of tragedy during this time. While depressing, it was also curiously uplifting. Lina is a fighter. I enjoyed her character - the personality, the development.
The book was very well-written. Engaging, informative, and inspiring.

3/4/19 Reread for book club. My above assessment and star count remain the same.

More of my reviews at http://mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment