Monday, March 25, 2019

The Memory House - Rachel Hauck


The Memory HouseThe Memory House by Rachel Hauck
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Oh man. So I only received a sneak peak at the first chapter from the publisher via NetGalley. The introduction to one of the main characters seems like a major departure from Rachel Hauck's usual work...and I think I'm going to love it. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest.

As noted above, I was excited to get my hands on the complete book. So thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for supplying me with an ARC. Unfortunately, I think my expectations were set a bit too high.

Beck Holiday lost her father (and her memories of him) in the attacks of 9/11. Many years later as a NYC cop, she goes a bit off the rails and gets suspended. Her suspension coincides with learning she has inherited a home in Florida. The home intersects Beck story with the story of the woman who gave it to her, Everleigh.

I think these story lines had a lot of potential; I just didn't love how they were executed. The individual stories didn't seem well organized and several story lines were dropped throughout the pages. There were also some discrepancies, which is one of my major pet peeves in books. For example, why did Beck believe that the car she noticed was a neighbor when she clearly saw the New York plates on it. Also, Beck peered out the window and saw someone in a tailored suit, but then it was really Hunter not in a suit at all. The dog preferred the dark on one page but then the light a few pages later. Simple fixes editing should have caught.

And why was it a big deal that Everleigh was pregnant? She was married when she got pregnant.

I wanted to love it. I just didn't. I didn't really connect with any of the characters. It was just okay to me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment