Wednesday, July 19, 2017

How the Other Half Lives - Jacob Riis


How the Other Half LivesHow the Other Half Lives by Jacob A. Riis
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This is not the version I read. Okay, I gave up after reading about four chapters in. But my version of the book was by LibriVox, which gave me the idea to look for free audio. I got through the book, and it wouldn't have happened any other way. It was tough reading. I don't know if it was the small text or dense pages or the content. Probably all of the above. I fared much better upon switching to the audio (although it was weird with the different narrators - and varying quality of the recordings). Still, I think I didn't really grasp all of what Riis was conveying. And, really, a lot of the issues with tenements in New York back then are still with us today in the inner cities of America.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment