Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls


The Glass CastleThe Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

So I had been told going into this that it is either a book you love or you hate. I come down pretty soundly on the "not the book for me" side of things. I almost gave it up several times. But as it was for a book club (and at the prodding of a friend), I pushed through.
The life and environment that Jeannette Walls describes growing up in is so clearly abhorrent. That any of the siblings are functioning adults is nothing short of a miracle. However, Walls writing doesn't do justice to the horror and conflict and neglect of her childhood. The writing style itself just seemed flat and unemotional. I wanted to feel what she felt, but her feelings were so often left out of the equation. I just couldn't connect, and that affected my overall reading and response to the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment