Thursday, November 15, 2018

Mini Reviews


Dark MatterDark Matter by Blake Crouch
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Jason, a science professor, is abducted by a masked man, knocked out, and wakes up in a world not much like the one he's used to. This is the tale of him trying to find his way back home.

I really liked about the first quarter of the book. Then there was a point that I was just over it and reading to be done. I didn't like any of the characters, even Jason. The box and its doors got confusing, as did Jason's choices as far as entering doors. A lot of the science had holes in it for me. I could suspend my disbelief but not to that extent.

Probably 1.5 for me.

View all my reviews The Hate U GiveThe Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Relevant.

Starr Carter lives in the ghetto but goes to an elite private school. She feels like she can never be fully herself but that there is a "home Starr" and a "school Starr." Then her worlds collide when she is the witness to her friend's murder.

This book. I found myself thinking about it and the ideas and characters presented even when I wasn't reading it. I have a feeling it will be one of those that sticks with me.

One of my favorite lines is when Starr's mother tells her what a nurse once told her: Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right.

This was a hard read. A lot of tough issues tackled like police brutality, gangs, racism, etc. But an important read as another part of the dialogue needed for what's wrong in our country and some ways to start fixing things.

Trigger warning is there is A LOT of language in this book and a couple of make out sessions. As a result, I haven't tagged it as YA; I wouldn't want my teen reading it without my knowledge and discussion through it. However, I didn't bump it down a star in my rating because I don't think the language was gratuitous in any way; I just prefer not to read it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment