Sunday, November 25, 2018

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood - Trevor Noah


Born a Crime: Stories From a South African ChildhoodBorn a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book is a collection of stories from Trevor Noah's growing up under apartheid (and after) in South Africa. I went into this book having no idea who Trevor Noah is (I now know he's a comedian, a pretty successful one) but have heard from others how amazing this book is. So I was disappointed to not enjoy it as much as they all did. I did learn and have my eyes opened to some issues that just weren't on my radar before. But I really disliked the organization of the book as a whole, and I think that affected my appreciation of the content. There really was no rhyme or reason to how the different mini memoirs were organized. So in one section I'd be reading a piece about Trevor's high school, then the next section would jump back to elementary school, then after high school. Which also led to some redundancies.
I would like to meet his mother though. She seems like an amazing woman.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment