Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens


Oliver TwistOliver Twist by Charles Dickens
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was my first read of Oliver Twist. I've never seen the movie or play either. The only thing I really knew going in was the line that I'd heard somewhere about "More gruel, please."

Oliver is an orphan boy who has more than his share of troubles in his young life. The book is also Dickens's take on poverty and wealth, morality and decay in Victorian England.

I liked it. I was probably more interested in the commentary on treatment of the poor, nature vs. nurture, etc., than in Oliver's story itself. It has caused me quite a bit of contemplation.

A pretty quick read and well worth it.

See more of my reviews at https://mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com/

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment