Monday, February 3, 2020

March - Geraldine Brooks


MarchMarch by Geraldine Brooks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book isn't a true retelling of but more of a spin-off from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. It focuses on Mr. March and his war experience during the narrative the original Little Women (not the added Good Wives portion) covers.

I'm not going to lie. This book took me about halfway through for me to really get invested in the characters and the story. It is not a quick moving book by any stretch. But I am so glad I stuck with it.

I had never really considered Mr. March's absence and what his story would contain any of the times I've read Little Women. Brooks did a wonderful job, I think, of creating a realistic story line for him. It was interesting to read from his perspective, and from Marmee's in the second part (although the initial shift in perspective was jarring, it did make sense).

Geraldine Brooks give a good sense of the intricacies of war and the personalities involved. I can see why this book won a Pulitzer prize. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has read Little Women.

*Pulitzer winner

See more of my reviews at https://mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com/

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment