Monday, May 25, 2020

The First Actress - CW Gortner


The First ActressThe First Actress by C.W. Gortner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First off, thanks to NetGalley and Random House for the advanced review copy. All opinions are my own.

Sarah Bernhardt is considered the world's first modern actress. This is the story of her tumultuous rise to fame.

I had never heard of Sarah Bernhardt before coming across this book on NetGalley. However, I have read other books by Gortner and enjoyed both the story and the historical knowledge. This book was no different.

Gortner writes in such a way that I really got a feel for who Sarah was and her complexities. She endured a lot, both in her childhood and her career aspirations. There were several characters/people I really didn't like at all as a result of his story telling. And I imagine they were that way in real life as well.

Anyone who likes historical fiction, even if they aren't necessarily theater fans, would probably like this book.

Heads-Up: There are some open door scenes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment