Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Girl, Wash Your Face - Rachel Hollis


Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are so You Can Become Who You Were Meant to BeGirl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are so You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be by Rachel Hollis
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Rachel Hollis tackles 20 lies people (particularly women) believe, some truths that can counteract them, and some tips on what helped her through the debunking in her life.

I wanted to love this book. I really did. Especially since everyone I know has loved this book. But I just didn't. I didn't love it so much that I almost abandoned it multiple times, but kept pushing through because there must be some reason everyone else is giving it 4 and 5 stars. And there was some redemption at the end when a few of the topics were deeper.

I will admit, I had some reservations going in to the book. I listen to the podcast Hollis does with her husband, Dave, and her communication style just really isn't my cup of tea. I keep listening because I can relate to Dave Hollis's approach a bit more. So that might have colored my reading as well.

I have gone back and forth between 1 and 2 stars on this review. There were a couple of nuggets I took away, but I think the things the things that grated me in reading outweighed those. The whole book comes off as a long humble-brag. Rachel Hollis has certainly accomplished a lot in her short life thus far. I don't discount that. The tone of the book was off-putting to me though.

Her story of her then boyfriend/now husband was alarming. The mistreatment she allowed herself to endure for months to keep him followed by a clear demarcation and boundary setting by telling him not to contact her again. Then hours later accepting him back into her life, jumping to their marriage. Now I'm hoping we aren't getting the full picture and there was a lot of good boundaries set and couples therapy between him showing up at her door and their marriage. But I don't really know that because it's skipped over. The book basically reads: I called and told him not to contact me again...He showed up at my door...He's my husband.

Scriptures taken out of context. Wanting a thousand dollar purse because it "represented the kind of woman I dreamed of becoming." What kind of women is that...the superficial kind who determines who women are based on a purse? Saying not to set limits to your dreams and then having several dreams of her own to accomplish before 40. It goes on.

There were some basic truths I could get on board with in some of the chapters. But the delivery wasn't for me. And the other issues in the book were just too much for me to settle on more than a star.

View more reviews at mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment