Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Almost Sisters - Joshilyn Jackson


The Almost SistersThe Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a book club pick.
Leia is a comic book artist, and soon to be single mother, when a family crisis calls her to Alabama and the home of her grandmother. There is a lot going on in Leia’s life, but there is a heck of a lot going on (and hidden) in the life of her family. None of the “secrets” were truly secret by the time I got to them. I think the author does a good job at having the reader draw conclusions that get you there. But I can enjoy a predictable book every now and then.
I enjoyed the characters for the most part. Some of them, like Leia’s sister Rachel, I found to be kind of flat. There was another character that I had issues with but won’t get into as it would be a plot spoiler.
The author’s use of “squirt” just about sent me over the edge. People were “squirting past” other people. They were “squirting away.” I don’t know. Maybe using “squirt” in those ways is a Southern thing (although I’ve spent some time in Tennessee and Alabama and never heard it). But it was like nails on a chalkboard for me.
All said, I liked the story. I liked the relationships and the interconnection of the characters. The idea of a “Second South” was interesting to me and no doubt true.
Worth the read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment