Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Always Never Yours - Emily Wibberley & Austin Siegemund-Broka


Always Never YoursAlways Never Yours by Emily Wibberley
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me an advanced copy to review. All opinions are my own.

Megan is always the girl that guys date before they find the one they want a serious relationship with. She has embraced that role wholeheartedly. Until life circumstances make her reconsider if that's who she truly wants to be.

I did not at all like this book. I wouldn't recommend it to any teen I know based simply on the questionable content. There might have been a redeeming message, but it's overshadowed by the sex. All the sex. Talk of sex. Having sex. Casual sex. More committed sex. Hooking up. Making out. Plus a bit of drinking and language. But mainly the sex.

Now I'm not an ostrich with my head in the sand thinking there aren't a lot of teens out there having sex. I'm sure there are. However, I don't think that is something we need to hold up to them as tantamount to real love or feelings or relationships.

I did not like Megan. I did not like Tyler. I did not like Anthony. I like Owen a bit. He seemed the most insightful character in the whole mess. I did not like Megan's parents and parental figures who were mainly just there because...I'm not really sure. Other than one talk with her dad towards the end, there was no parenting or guiding going on.

I struggled with Megan being so shallow and flighty. If a guy looked good, he was a potential next hook up for her. People say that art (and writing) is just a reflection of our culture and society. Well, I hope not. Because I'd like to give the youth of today a bit more credit for their character and depth.

I did like the Shakespeare references sprinkled throughout, especially towards the start of the book. And I really liked the premise. But, again, not worth the read.

***If you would like to read more of my reviews and bookish thoughts, please visit mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com Thanks!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment