Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely FineEleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was not at all what I expected. And I adored it. However, it's a 4 start instead of 5 as it took me until halfway through the book to begin adoring it.

Eleanor is different. She suffers through the workweek, more than competent at her job, only to drink her way through the weekend so she can get back to what she knows. She is unskilled and awkward in social settings and even in the office. But then Eleanor meets Raymond, the new guy working IT at the office. As a result, she begins to shift out of her isolation. It's a beautiful and messy transition.

First of all, I have to say this book is full of amazingly deep thoughts and quotes to pull out and ponder. About love. About loneliness. About what it takes to be accepted in today's society. About judgment and assumptions and opening oneself to others. Profound.

Gail Honeyman's insight into humanity is keen. She has created a character in Eleanor that I didn't particularly like for the first part of the book. She was judgmental and odd. But then a shift happened. The more I learned of her story, the more I understood her quirks. The more I understood, the more sympathetic I could be. I was rooting for her 100% by the end (the end which I loved, by the way). I think that alone speaks to the fact that we need to take to the time to connect and listen to each other's stories.

Raymond, with his own awkwardness, was probably my favorite character. He really saw people for who they were. That was powerful.

There is some language, drinking (the vodka every weekend for sure), and some racy discussion. None of it was out of character nor was it much.

I'm already stalking Gail Honeyman's internet presence to see when her next book will be released.

***If you'd like to read more of my reviews, please visit mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com. Thanks!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment