Monday, January 7, 2019

Dumplin' - Julie Murphy


Dumplin'Dumplin' by Julie Murphy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I saw an ad for the movie on Netflix; and, of course, had to read the book before I'll allow myself to watch it.
Willowdean is the daughter of a former pageant winner and now coordinator. It has shaped her in ways she doesn't realize. As has her aunt's life, Dolly Parton, her best friend, and her weight.
I really liked the character of Willowdean. She was flawed and authentic and fierce. She's real.
I think because of the movie preview, I thought the book would be more pageant-centric. And it's really not. Willowdean doesn't even sign up for the pageant until about halfway through the book. And then it just pops in and out some until the end. The book itself is more about relationships. With yourself and what you want. With your dreams. With friends and family.
Didn't like the swearing (which seemed to come in random spurts) and teen sex (although not in detail definitely a character's key plot).
3.5 stars from me.
I'm not sure I'll read the sequel. I didn't know there was one until I logged this one as read on Goodreads and was looking for more books by the author. I liked how Dumplin' ends. It was satisfying. I don't necessarily feel the need for a more.
I am, however, off to watch the movie...

See more reviews at mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment