Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Flint - Louis L'Amour


FlintFlint by Louis L'Amour
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Flint grew up in the west but headed east as soon as he could, making a name for himself in the world of finance. Life happens, and he decides to return to the west. Flint almost immediately finds himself tangled up in a range war on the side of local rancher, Nancy Kerrigan.

I grew up visiting my grandparents each summer in Western Kansas. And I recall Louis L'Amour books my grandpa read on the built in shelf between recliners in the living room. While I read many books from those shelves over the years, I never picked up one by L'Amour. Then I had a college boyfriend who wasn't much of a reader but would rave about L'Amour. Still, I never read one. So when friends mentioned L'Amour again recently at a social gathering, I finally asked which one I should start with. They were split between Flint and another title I don't recall. Flint was available at my library, so I read it.

And enjoyed it.

Which I didn't really expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I'm not a Western movie watcher. I do like historical fiction but haven't really ever read a gun-slinging Western, to my remembrance. This was good. Predictable at times, for sure. But I was fully engaged in the story and Flint. It was interesting. I'll read more.

As a side note, I was completely distracted by the character "Nancy Kerrigan's" name, despite acknowledging the fact this was written far before the famous figure skater was born.

To read more of my reviews, please visit mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment