Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Vox - Christina Dalcher


VoxVox by Christina Dalcher
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book was my book club pick for May 2019, and I think it will lend itself to some interesting discussions.
This dystopian novel is set in a United States where the women and girls have been effectively silenced. Each is allotted only 100 words a day. No female can hold jobs; girls are taught only the skills for homemaking in school. Dr. Jean McClellan can’t believe this limited existence came about so quickly, and she is determined to do what she can to make her voice heard.
I had heard amazing things about this book from many different people. The story itself was fascinating. The way the country came to be so restricted. Jean chafing against the new order but unsure how to change it. The characters representing the conservative Christians who instituted and enforced the new laws were more caricatures than the other main characters were. I’m assuming that was on purpose to create a bias.
I could have done without the romance and sex. I think it took away from the overall (and more important, in my mind) story. Also, there was so much language. It was distracting, not adding to the characters in any way. Additionally, I felt that one of the thread conclusions was just too pat, too easy for the build up it had.
Probably would have been a 3 star “I liked it book” but for the above. It does make one think, though.

Read more of my reviews at https://mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com/


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment