Friday, May 17, 2019

The Stationery Shop - Marjan Kamali


The Stationery ShopThe Stationery Shop by Marjan Kamali
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Set in Iran and the US from the 1950’s to present day, this book centers upon Roya, a teenager growing up in Tehran and its political turmoil. Roya finds sanctuary and love in the neighborhood stationery shop. But, as with life, all does not go as planned for anyone. The book revolves around the themes of love, family, and fate.

This book sounded interesting to me when I read about it on NetGalley. (Thanks, NetGalley and Gallery Books for the advanced copy! All opinions are my own.) I don’t know that I’ve really every read anything set in Iran and know little of its history. Besides, the title has “Stationery Shop” as its name. How could I resist that?

The book did not disappoint. I was interested in Roya and invested in her story pretty much from the start. The flow of the writing, while at a slower pace, fit the narrative. I enjoyed learning about the culture of Roya and her family, how she adjusted in moving to the United States, and the keeping of her identity there. I was also a bit sad for her throughout as I thought on her life and potential regrets. All the characters were complex; even the ones I didn’t like, I liked the way they were written.

I’m glad to have read this book and plan to check out Marjan Kamali’s backlist for more.

Read more of my reviews at https://mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com/


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment