Thursday, July 5, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan


Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1)Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with boyfriend Nick, not realizing he's basically Asian royalty. Drama ensues.

I saw the preview for the movie, and it looked so funny. And the book definitely had some funny (not laugh out loud but maybe smirk) parts. But I didn't love it. It's probably 1.5 stars for me. I rounded up to 2 stars because I think some of my lack of enjoyment of the book stemmed from having absolutely no knowledge of the "crazy rich" level of society in the Far East. In fact, I'm only assuming it's a real thing based on the author's extensive footnotes (which were incredibly helpful). I felt like all of the characters were very stereotyped. Which I kind of get as it was satire but still would have liked to have a bit more depth. I didn't really get engaged with any of their stories. The character I liked most appeared towards the end and played a pretty small role in Astrid's story line.

Quite a bit of language and discussions (not scenes but retelling of scenes) of sexual nature.

I was hoping to love it, be thoroughly entertained, and read the rest. I wasn't, and I won't.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment