Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Still Life (Chief Inspector Gamache #1) - Louise Penny


Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)Still Life by Louise Penny
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book was my local book club pick for the month. It has been on my TBR list for quite awhile as Anne Bogel (Modern Mrs. Darcy) and others have been raving about the series for years. Because of that, I think it was a case of expectations and reality for me that I ended up thinking the book was just “meh.”
This is the first book in the series by Louise Penny that centers around Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. On Thanksgiving Sunday, he is dispatched to a murder scene in the rural village of Three Pines, Quebec. Jane, who seems to be universally loved by the town members, is dead in the woods. Inspector Gamache and his team need to determine foul play and whodunit.
There were a lot of nuances and mentions about the English Canadians and the French Canadians throughout the book. Those were completely over my head.
There was one character, Agent Nichol, who’s continued story I would like to know. But not enough to invest reading time into the other books in the series (13 to date).
A lot of emotions and thoughts. I felt some characters were decidedly stereotypical.
However, I will say this book (and series) has won numerous awards. And everyone else I know who has read it really enjoyed it. So, I’m the odd one out. Give it a go if you like mysteries, especially of the somewhat cozy variety.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment