Monday, July 23, 2018

Wolf Hollow - Lauren Wolk


Wolf HollowWolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk


2017 Newbery Honor Winner

I’m working my way (very slowly) through the Newbery Award winners. The winner in 2017, The Girl Who Drank the Moon, didn’t really appeal to me. Since Wolf Hollow was also a Golden Sower (Nebraska) state award for 2018, I thought I’d give it a try. And I’m so glad I did.
This middle grade novel deals appropriately with weighty themes of bullying, PTSD, prejudice, lying, and more. Annabelle is a young girl growing up with her multi-generational family on their farm. They have a peaceful existence until Betty comes to town. She sees Annabelle as an easy target, and things escalate from there.
I loved how the story was written. The prose was wonderful. The dialogue was appropriate for each character. Beautifully done. I can easily see how it has won awards.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment