Monday, July 23, 2018

Mary B. - Katherine J. Chen


Mary B: An Untold Story of Pride and PrejudiceMary B: An Untold Story of Pride and Prejudice by Katherine J. Chen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Oh, this is a hard book for me to review and even more challenging to rate. I moved from 2 stars to closer to 4 stars and then down to 1 when the author ruined it all for me. And I can’t even go into details about that without spoiling it for those who haven’t read it. So this might be a short and vague review. My apologies in advance.
When I received an email from NetGalley alerting me of a new book centering on Mary Bennet, I was intrigued. I like Austen literature in many of its forms. Specifically, I’ve always felt for Mary in that chaotic household, overshadowed by her lovely older sisters and overwhelmed by her vivacious younger sisters. This novel starts just before Pride & Prejudiuce does, extends itself through that timeline from Mary’s perspective, and wraps up several years after P&P ends.
The story started slow. Mary’s narration started out very cerebral and pedantic. However, as I got used to the style and realized in reflection that is probably how Mary was. So I warmed up to it and really enjoyed the middle section of the book. I enjoyed seeing the other characters from Mary’s perspective and get some additional behind the scenes. I even really liked the beginning of the time after the original story line. But then, due to one plot decision, I hated it. Passionately and thoroughly. Read it. I’m sure you’ll know exactly when my change of heart happened.
So I’m settling on 1.5 stars rounded to 2. Some might enjoy the plot twist that I abhor.
Trigger warning: Sex, not super graphic but present.
Thanks to Random House via NetGalley for the ARC.

If you would like to read more of my reviews, you can visit mommyreadsbooks.blogspot.com

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment